Concerned about the high rates of illegal tobacco sales to children in cities across San Diego County, some municipal leaders are advocating for the passage of ordinances that require retailers who choose to sell tobacco products to obtain a license for that privilege. Obtaining a tobacco retail license requires retailers to pay a permit fee to the city. Revenues generated from these licensing fees are dedicated to law enforcement programs that focus on protecting youth from illegal tobacco sales.
Tobacco Retail Licensing Laws in San Diego County
- El Cajon Municipal Code 8.33
- City of San Diego Municipal Code 3.3.45
- Solana Beach Municipal Code 6.17
- Vista Municipal Code 3.56
Resources for Public Health Advocates
How You Can Help
- Follow the Take Action steps to let your local government representative know you support requiring retailers to have a local license to sell tobacco products. Find your local representative here. Ask your friends, family, co-workers, church groups or club to join you.
- Write a letter to the editor in response to something in the newspaper. Keep your response short and to the point. Letters to the editor are read by many and can make a difference.
- Join the SmokeFreeSanDiego Team
- Like us on Facebook to see what is going on in San Diego.
Concerned about youth access to tobacco products? Want to learn more?
If you are in North Inland (San Marcos, Escondido, Poway) or North Coastal (Oceanside, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Del Mar) contact Vista Community Clinic at Gena@vistacommunityclinic.org (760) 631-5000 ext. 7165 or Kmoya@vistacommunityclinic.org (760) 631-5000 ext. 7117
In you are in South Bay (Chula Vista, Imperial Beach, National City, Coronado) or East County (La Mesa, Santee, Lemon Grove) contact Lorenzo.email@example.com or 619-442-2727 ext. #6
If your community is not listed, contact us.
Resources for Policy Makers
- Case Studies on the Implementation and Enforcement of Local Tobacco Retail Licensing Ordinances in California
- TRL Model Ordinances (and Associated Plug-ins)
- TRL Ordinance Checklist
Examples of local ordinances and staff reports