Shouldn’t the Best Seat in the House be Smoke-Free
Creating smoke-free environments on restaurant patios provides non-smokers with access to these highly desirable seating areas. To accommodate the 89 percent of Californians who do not smoke, and prefer to dine outdoors, cities and counties are exploring smoke-free dining patios ordinances.
Smoke-Free Dining Patio Laws in San Diego County
- Carlsbad Municipal Code 6.14
- Chula Vista Municipal Code 8.22.035
- Del Mar Municipal Code 11.08.030
- El Cajon Municipal Code 8.32.025
- Encinitas Municipal Code 11.09
- National City Municipal Code 9.37
- Solana Beach Municipal Code 6.16.030
Restaurant managers or owners can also set voluntary smoke-free policies for their dining patios. If a city does not have a law, the restaurant may have their own policy. See Dining Patio Policies for more information.
How You Can Help
San Diego has the best climate in the Country with bright, sunny, clear skies a majority of the year. While dining on a patio your meal should NOT come with a side of secondhand smoke.
Join community members throughout San Diego who are speaking out.
- Follow the Take Action steps to let your government representative know you support smoke-free dining patios. Find your local representative here. Ask your friends, family, co-workers, church groups or club to join you.
- Tell the restaurant manager you prefer smoke-free outdoor dining the next time you dine out.
- Join the SmokeFreeSanDiego Team
- Like us on Facebook to see what is going on in San Diego
Resources for Policy Makers
A study published in Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine revealed that youth living in towns with a strong restaurant smoking regulation had significantly lower odds of starting to smoke, compared to youth living in towns with weak regulations. Local Restaurant Smoking Regulations and the Adolescent Smoking Initiation Process: Results of a Multilevel Contextual Analysis Among Massachusetts Youth
There is strong public support from people who smoke and those who do not smoke, for smoke-free outdoor dining patios policies. See various public opinion polls.
- Secondhand Smoke: California Voters
- Two Decades of the California Tobacco Control Program: California Tobacco Survey, 1990-2008 (page 15)
- Chula Vista Survey on Smoke Free Outdoor Dining Policies 2006
ChangeLab Solutions has resources
- Model Ordinance: Smokefree Outdoor Areas
- Model Ordinance CHECKLIST: Smokefree Outdoor Areas
- There is No Constitutional Right to Smoke
Examples from the City of Chula Vista